Monday 10 May 2010

A town called Bracknell

Bracknell Half

First real race since London (well not including the parkruns). The main aim of entering Bracknell Half was to see what my legs & CV are currently like. Other reasons included – I really enjoyed this event last year, it`s only £12.00 to enter and hopefully if like last year you get a medal, T-Shirt, water bottle plus other goodies plus you get great support along the way

Shortly after getting there I met up with Alan (aka Martin)- the other club mate. Saw Muttley - another race fan, who was celebrating his 50th birthday by hopefully collecting his 100th race medal - he did, nice one Mutts.

The course itself starts on a open road then after the first mile or so it`s mainly footpath and underpasses around Bracknell. Then by about the 5 and half mile the elevation changes to very undulating and becomes more exposed. This carries on till about the last mile when it`s downhill to the finish.

Assembled mid way into the starting area and just shortly after 9.00am we were off. After a bit of a scrum at the start (no estimated finishing time positions at the start). First mile was ok despite a bit of weaving, then as the path cleared in front the second mile marker quickly came into view, and then the third – 5Kms in about 24 mins. Felt good, legs felt good so didn`t bother changing pace. As I tried to rememeber the route the mile marker came & went – all without too much trouble.

Tuned the corner where it starts to be a bit exposed – and the rain started...nice. Started to feel the undulations now but at least the twists & turns hid the next upward part of the course. Through 10Km in about 48 mins or so (I need to seriously improve that before the BUPA 10,000). Saw Alec & Nicki – had a laugh with them as I asked if the guys in front were going the right way.

Saw Alan in front and decided I would take it a bit steady. Slowly I gained or he slowed down and just by the inappropriate sign – “Longhill Roundabout” – “Longhill - I know I`ve just ran up the blooming thing” I passed Alan. Then a downward section (I knew there had to be one), another underpass, then a sharpish corner another hill. Felt good seeing the 10 Miler click over and I did noticed my mile splits kept steady throughout the undulating section which was pleasing.

Into the last mile, and it`s true what they say “All downhill from here” – I know :-) Nice speedy last mile, and from memory I knew we had to run past the finish and then turn back on ourselves to the finish – I gained a few places there. The finish had a nice run in which was lucky as I saw the clock coming up to another minute – I so didn`t want another “just over the minute time” so with a bit of a sprint & dipped through the finish in 1.41.52...

Well pleased with that esp after a 22.50 parkrun on the day before. The `poor race of London` was put to bed. Happy days again.

Nice chat & cool down afterwards.

Splits (last year`s splits in brackets) -

1) - 1m - 7:46 (7:49)
2) - 1m - 7:42 (7:36)
3) - 1m - 7:36 (7:37)
4) - 1m - 7:32 (7:36)
5) - 1m - 7:32 (7:38)
6) - 1m - 8:04 (8:12)
7) - 1m - 8:00 (8:09)
8) - 1m - 7:59 (8:17)
9) - 1m - 7:57 (8:14)
10) - 1m - 7:55 (8:05)
11) - 1m - 8:01 (8:17)
12) - 1m - 8:05 (8:17)
13) - 1m - 7:37 (7:47 based 0.92m @ 7:09)
14) - 0.02m - 0:05

Finishing (Garmin) time = 1:41:52 (2009 = 1:42:56)

Afterwards & because it was local I managed to go to the gym for a steam & a soak (& I didn`t fall alseep in the steam room like last weekend)

Next up is the Hook 10 next Sunday – yippee I love 10 milers (& hopefully I will not, like last year do that race with a hangover – not clever but it wasn`t really my fault - honest guv)

Other news -

I`ve seemed have entered another marathon - Benidorm Marathon. Several of my club mates have entered and staying for a few days afterwards - seems a good way to end the year :-)

I`ve also been having thoughts AND I know we are hardly into May but I`ve been thinking about next year....this year I`m only down for one ultra (JW Ultra) ok I might sneak over the distance at the Thunder Run but next year I`ve decided to hit the ball long.....

No comments:

Post a Comment