Wednesday 19 May 2010

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer.....

Hook 10 Race Report

One advantage of doing a fair few number of races is that I`m getting to know the better events, which is why I was back at Hook this year (but without the hangover this year). A very nice local `village fete` type of event, with a number of different distance events - 10M, 6M & fun run - how can they not include 10M as a fun run???

Got there early, and met up with John (an ex Covie), along with other parkfunners - Colin & Elaine, Richard. Bumped into Foxy Lady as I was going for a last minute warm up.

The 10M race started at 11.00am, with the 6M going 12 minutes afterwards. The 10M course was generally flat with a couple of energy sapping rises, starting off in the Village, then into a small trading estate before heading into the countryside & back running the Village loop again. The plan was to go as close to a PB as possible - 1.13.56 PB - why I had that plan I don`t know as I`ve seemed to have gained a few pounds since London (half a stone to be nearer the truth - weight now 12st 7lbs).

Shortly after hearing the second mile `beep` I knew I had over cooked the start - no way I was I in PB shape - breathing all over the place. Tried to settle down to a pace I could maintain and still found it hard work - I don`t like to work hard during 10M. John soon appeared next to me, and shortly disappeared. My yoga teacher lives along the course and it was a good job she was teaching as if she saw my running then I`ll be working on my core for weeks to come - I wasn`t looking good. Mile splits were all over the shop.

Through half way in a 5M PB (only cos my actual 5M PB was set when I went rock climbing), and decided that I would write off the 1st 5M and have a better 2nd half - I think this generally worked. I went past Chris (another parkrunner) just before 6M, and John shortly afterwards.

We had to go along a flat fast road but one things the organisers did was to have a safety car out slowing the traffic down with I thought was a nice touch. Saw Elaine just before my 7M - great 5Km to go and got into steady pace and into the last part of course. Felt surprising better - would even say enjoyed the last couple of miles. I guess that I was thinking about form more - an area I had to work on. I looked out for Colin but he managed to finish his race before I could get him and through the line I went.

I aimed for 1:14:00 and finished in 1:17:31 so a bit disappointing in that respect but a good event for socially & lessons to be learnt - Need to practice more Chi running & as Danny Dryer says if you want to manage your weight then learn how to eat correctly so no more `good but bad` food.

It could also be that because I had, what I`m calling a disappointing London I`m trying too hard to get that perfect race & aiming too high at the moment....just a thought thou.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro4LnwdU85g

Split Summary;

1) - 1m - 7:04(7:04/m) - 127cal
2) - 1m - 7:20(7:20/m) - 130cal
3) - 1m - 7:44(7:44/m) - 133cal
4) - 1m - 8:01(8:01/m) - 132cal
5) - 1m - 8:31(8:31/m) - 130cal
6) - 1m - 7:31(7:31/m) - 131cal
7) - 1m - 8:06(8:06/m) - 132cal
8) - 1m - 7:45(7:45/m) - 132cal
9) - 1m - 8:03(8:03/m) - 133cal
10) - 0.95m - 7:27(7:51/m) - 122cal

Next up - Is the Queen Mother`s Reservoir 10Km on Tuesday (practice for BUPA 10,000)

No comments:

Post a Comment