Thursday 17 October 2013

What no splat the rat – Mortimer 10Km.


A quick catch up…a week after the JW Ultra I find myself heading towards a local 10Km & if someone says "It`s a village fete 10Km" then I think this is the closest you will ever get to an event that fits that bill - The Mortimer 10Km - it has bouncy castle, stalls from local charities - didn`t see `a splat the rat` stall though L 3Km kids race, great 10Km course, enter on the day, loads of room from parking etc - it`s brilliant. Myself & Dennis get there early, grab a coffee & watch the kids race goes off, I go for a mile or so warm up & then catch up with folks from the Basingstoke parkrun who are out in good number.

The race plan - well was a bit difficult to predict as I didn`t really know what my legs would do so soon after the previous week`s 30M - maybe 47 mins. My only previous run here was in 2008 (I know) & I managed one of my first sub 50 mins times - 49:34. The course hadn`t changed - fairly flat for 7Km then a climb & then the finish & the weather was good.. It was good to see other Cove Joggers - Lin & Brian pop over to race this one too.

Soon it was time to assemble at the start, I moved towards the front. The start is about 400 mtrs on the field then out onto the road for a small loop - the grass start makes it like we are in the Grand National horse race - no fallers thank goodness. We do a loop, about a mile going past the many spectators, which is great for the support. First mile - 6.59/m - ok that`s PB pace - opps. The second mile inc a small hill - which I seem to overtake loads of folks - 7:13/m - pleased. I get a bit caught up in a group of runners in the 3rd mile & kind of relax into their pace rather than mine - 7:21 /m - what a rookie !!.

I go through the 5Km in 22:15 or so.

The next mile includes the downhill section & inc running past the spectators (more showboating) - 6:55/m Around 4.25 miles there is the first incline, then flattens out then up again - 7:36/m which wasn`t bad as I seemed to be a `bus driver` - take turns guys !!!` This incline lasts till about 5.5M, then flattens out - I chase the guys who get off the bus & go running past !!!  We head towards the spectators - heads up, knees up, lean forward - 7:26/m & then head into the field for the last little bit & under the gantry.

I stop the garmin at 44:51 - all pretty good, the legs did well. I do have to say it helped that I knew quite a few runners who were either kept ahead of me (thanks Daryl) or I chased down during the race.

I stood cheering on the finishing runners with Marie, I saw some good battles being played out inc Lin & Brian with Lin claiming that one. We waited for Dennis who was bang on time. Afterwards we grabbed another coffee (no cakes thou Richard !!) & watched the prize giving. 

Great Event.
 
 
Results - RESULT LINK

Bit of a plug but Lisa gave me a few huge cheers around the course - Lisa Wilkinson Sports Therapy

No comments:

Post a Comment