Monday 25 October 2010

Great South Run

Great South Run..

Trouble with entering races from a year out is that come race day it may not fit your programme. Which is exactly what happened here - a flat 10 miler, big event, chip time, plenty of support etc etc etc and I couldn`t race it - well I could have but I think I would have broken myself - gutted really. Unlike last year when I (successfully) challenged the white zone number I was quite happy to run from the 2nd zone - I had decided on 9.00/m (1:30) - easy on the head and hopefully easy on the legs.

The feeling of de ja ve ...... another early dark morning, scrapping the ice of the car, moon still hanging around the dark skies, promise of clear blue skies but with a nip in the air...

Soon enough the dark skies cleared to a bright blue sky, the sun so low that the sun visor was almost useless - still very nippy thou. Got to Gosport (despite missing my junction on the M27 - opps in plenty of time to spare !!!). Parked up and got the ferry over and walked over to the starting / finish area.



A quick look around and nipped over to the changing area (basically to keep warm). Bumped into Big John (Ex-Cove Jogger now Sandhurst), whilst getting changed Tiptoes & martinthemedic came over. Told them that with Abingdon last week & Athens this week that I wasn`t racing. Fingers in ear job. Saw & wished Euan (Basingstoke parkrun RD) happy birthday & saw Richard. Soon enough it was time to venture out into the cold. More for leg muscle protection rather than warmth I wore my full leg `skins` & a vest. Met up with Sue & Lynn (her first 10M).

Got in the `zone` - I do mean of course the white zone rather than THE ZONE, soon enough we shuffled forward and crossed the start line and we were off.

Just Mile 1 spot on, just before mile 2 we went passed the Victory (or `Nike` as I will be saying next week - did you see what I did there???). Without the `racing` head on it did mean you can look around more - read some of the messages on the various running tops - TBH I struggled a bit there. Quicken the pace a little during the next mile as compensation I guess. During mile 3 you start to see runners coming past the other side. As I moved over to the side & I saw `RLTW` - a GNR runner - in front of me (names on the back of tops, as well as front work). Had a brief chat & pushed on. Got shouted at by Sue A little bit fast during these miles but it so hard to keep a slower pace when getting loads of support from others runners & spectators.

Through 6M & you get to see the faster runner nearing their finish (I so wanted to be there racing). Pushed a bit through 7M & then 8M. Missed out on the showers & didn`t drink during the race - wanted to practise getting hot & running. Around the corner and into the final two miles, will admit on pushing the pace a bit here - through the BUPA section. Backed off a bit at the 800 metres to go sign & giving out high fives where I could and through the finish. Nearly ran into the back of Sue, Andrew, Ian, Jon, Nick, Philip and a couple of others who had shortly finished before me.

Split Summary

1) - 1m - 9:02(9:02/m) - 138cal
2) - 1m - 9:15(9:15/m) - 140cal
3) - 1m - 8:29(8:29/m) - 141cal
4) - 1m - 8:54(8:54/m) - 140cal
5) - 1m - 8:38(8:38/m) - 139cal
6) - 1m - 8:40(8:40/m) - 140cal
7) - 1m - 8:36(8:36/m) - 139cal
8) - 1m - 8:29(8:29/m) - 139cal
9) - 1m - 8:18(8:18/m) - 140cal
10) - 1m - 8:12(8:12/m) - 140cal
11) - 0.15m - 1:03(7:01/m) - 19cal

5 Km = 00:28:20
10 KM = 00:55:25
15 Km = 01:22:04

10M = 01:27:48 (Garmin 01:27:36)

(What is an acceptable tightness of mile splits anyway????)

Entries are open now for GSR 2011 but will (try to) resist as running in October 2011 has already been earmarked (& it means unable to run the Basingstoke Half too) !!!

During the run I did have the thoughts of becoming a guide runner....will investigate more I think but if you know anything please pass it on.

Afterwards had fish n chips on the beach - tis a great way to end the day.



Glad to report no issues with the legs or feet. Looking forward to an easy week - 4M Tuesday & 4M Thursday.

Next up is the Athens Marathon this weekend.

* BTW `Nike` is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike_(mythology)

No comments:

Post a Comment