Wednesday 21 July 2010

A trip down (well UP) memory lane...

Swanage Half

I was asked couple of weeks ago if I wanted to run this event in the place of an injured runner (thanks RFJ) - a legal change by informing the RO and everything. Unfortunately we never received a reply BUT the damage was done and the seed was sown ....you could enter on the day and the race was on a Saturday

As a kid we used to camp nr Crofe Castle so it would be nice to go down to Swanage again. however the downside was that the trip would take just over 2 hours to get there so I decided that I would run if the weather was decent (beach afterwards).

With the race bag packed I was up & out of the door by 6.00am (start was at 10.00am with the entry desk closing at 9.00am) - another trip down the M3, M27 and thankfully the traffic was not a problem and got there nice and early. I drove along some of the course getting there (around the 7M mark) - and I really wished I hadn`t....to say it was undulating would be an understatement - the race was billed as "TOUGH BUT REWARDING`

After warming up we all filled into the starting area and pretty much on time we started. Like most races I had a rough idea on my expected time, for this one it was 1:50 to 2:00 (or 8.23/m to 9.09/m or 7.2 mph - 6.6mph). Been practising not racing off too quickly at the start recently so I kept it steady - the steady incline in the 1st mile also helped to slow it down.

Mile 2 was also uphill, At mile 3 there was a decline but then a sharp incline - I wasn`t going to be fast one but still quite pleased with the mile spilts. At about 3.5M we generally dropped down & the views over the sea made a nice change.

Around the Mile 4 I saw a local club vest - Sandhurst Jogger - said hello and pushed on a bit. Nice section from mile 4 to mile 7.

Just before the turning at Crofe Castle it was around the halfway point - I notice my garmin clicked over the 56 mins mark at 6.55M. We turned off the tight busy road section & unto a single track / road - it was the hilly route I had seen on my way in. With the overhanging branches & the twist & turns it seemed that the hill just kept increasing - I took another `tea break` (walk break) - a bad habit I had got myself into recently. Just before the mile 9 marker we went downhill. The rest of the miles seemed to fly past and before I knew it we were back in Swanage. Ran along the front - Shouted out to Ian & Sandra and went through the finish line.

Through the finish at 1:51:25 (Garmin time) - pleased with that esp with those hills - see profile.

Collected a very unusual race memento - a golden trainer. It was also nice to get a choice - trainer or a glass paperweight. Never been given a Golden shoe before so it was an easy choice.

Split Summary
====
1) - 1m - 8:26(8:26/m) - 128cal
2) - 1m - 8:42(8:42/m) - 132cal
3) - 1m - 9:02(9:02/m) - 131cal
4) - 1m - 8:00(8:00/m) - 132cal
5) - 1m - 8:21(8:21/m) - 132cal
6) - 1m - 7:49(7:49/m) - 132cal
7) - 1m - 7:59(7:59/m) - 133cal
8) - 1m - 9:49(9:49/m) - 132cal
9) - 1m - 9:22(9:22/m) - 126cal
10) - 1m - 8:20(8:20/m) - 131cal
11) - 1m - 8:23(8:23/m) - 133cal
12) - 1m - 8:00(8:00/m) - 132cal
13) - 1m - 8:19(8:19/m) - 131cal
14) - 0.12m - 54(7:32/m) - 16cal




The afternoon was spent on Studland beach - mixture of reading & napping - the sea water did wonders for the legs but did sting a bit a first.

Another cracker of an event - if you get the chance then you should enter this event - thanks again RFJ for pointing this one out to me.

Next event ......................................well I do have a Sunday free now............

No comments:

Post a Comment