Sunday 29 November 2009

A bit of `R n R`

Where `R n R` is rain and more rain...and it was more than a bit!!

The last time I ran down on the south coast was last month in the Great South which I had enjoyed despite the `home straight` so it bought back good memories. So I had been looking forward to this one - that soon changed when driving down the A3 I saw the dark battle sea grey clouds – my goodness I can`t remember seeing darker clouds - it did not look good.

Got there early as meeting with my cousin, who I had been & unknown to me been following for the last few miles. Also met up with a couple of club mates too

Today`s plan was to an easy run – as conditions would dictate the pace – I would think about a shorten stride & cadence.

The start was very casual and near the back for a change, this I suppose helped with the steady 1st mile, moving through the pack. Faster 2nd mile, then came the off-road section – a very waterlogged footpath. I used the puddles to gauge where my foot was landing so not all bad then. Then the course, by design meant you could pass the other runners coming past – amazing how the front runners make it look so comfortable. Then came the rain, blowing in from the sea. I seemed to gain a few extra places when the conditions got worse. At least it wasn`t hail I said to a group of runners. Then a section straight into the wind and then a bit of a turn and along the sea front. Tucked in behind a couple of runners and took this chance to have a bit of a breather & to watch again the runners coming the other way. At about 8 & bit miles decided that was enough rest so at the switch back point I pushed on & within seconds the heavens opened up – well I say heavens but it was coming in sideways. Within a few minutes it stopped, and then the hailstones – my goodness they stung. Still I found myself passing runners with almost ease. Within the final mile and straight into the wind – I`m sure I was leaning so far forward (which was not a bad thing) my feet were landing behind me and through the finish.

Splits - 7:51, 7:28, 8:00, 8:04, 7:45, 7:38, 7:41, 7:49, 7:40, 7:19.

Finish time (Garmin) – 1.17.15

Almost sprinted to the car to get into some warm clothes. Got back to the finishing area & saw my cousin coming home – who had done well.

Huge thanks to Havant AC & all the mad marshals who stood out on the course in the rain with encouraging words – thanks.

The forthcoming week`s running plans –

Aim - An easy one.

Tuesday – easy 4 or 6 miles.
Thursday – much of the same, easy 4 or 6 miles.
Saturday – a 30 min parkrun.
Sunday – Doyen of the Downs.

No comments:

Post a Comment